A Guide on How to Cancel Thames Water in 2019

Thames Water is the utility company responsible for the supply of water and treatment of wastewater in several areas of southern England. It is the largest water company in the UK, with 15 million customers. Unfortunately, water suppliers are fixed according to the area that you live in. You cannot choose a water provider the way you can choose an energy supplier. The only way that you can switch water suppliers is if you are moving into a different area. If you are, then you need to cancel your Thames Water account. This guide will tell you how to do it if you follow these points. There are several ways to cancel Thames Water.

Cancel by Telephone

1) Call Thames Water on 0800 316 9800 to close your account. If you press 1 it connects to the automated service, so press 2 instead. It will ask you to enter your Thames Water account number or press the hash key if you do not have it (#). Then, out of the options, select 1 for “moving home” to connect to an adviser.

2) Provide your name, address, and account number so that they can find your account. Only the named accountholder has the authority to make changes to the account, so you must confirm that this is you first. It is best to let them know that you are moving and provide a final water meter reading on your last day.

3) You will need to give Thames Water your new address so that they can forward your final water bill to you. They should send it within a week of closing your account. If your account is in credit, then you will get a refund. However, if your account is in debt, then you will still have to pay the sum to Thames Water. You can ask to spread the cost of this bill instead of paying it all at once if the final bill is more than £30.

Cancel Online

When you are ready to notify Thames Water that you are moving home, you can fill out a dedicated form and submit it online. Simply follow this link and enter all the information that the form requests you to.

This will include your 10-digit account number, your full name and contact details, your new address, and the date that you are moving out of the property. It will also help if you provide the reading on your water meter on the day that you are moving out. This is why it is better not to submit the form too far in advance.

If you have questions and do not want to submit the “moving home” form yet, then you can submit a form with a general enquiry instead. You can make enquiries about your Direct Debit if that is how you pay, or about changing the names on the account if you are a tenant who is moving out and leaving other tenants in charge of the water bill. As it says, it could be up to 10 working days before you get a reply to this form.

Cancel by Post

If you want to notify Thames Water that you are moving by writing a letter instead, then you are free to do so. Include all the details that you would have to include in the online “moving home” form shown above. For your own peace of mind, you may want to pay for tracked postage so you can check when your letter is received. Bear in mind that this may not be the date that it is processed on, though. This is why you need to allow enough time before your next bill or payment would be due to make sure that Thames Water charges you for the water usage during the time you were actually still living there and not for any time afterwards.

Thames Water
PO Box 436
SN38 1TU