Looking to cancel your child benefit? Follow our complete guide on the different ways you can do this below.
Cancel by telephone
To cancel your child benefit over the phone, follow the steps below.
- Before you phone ensure that you have your National Insurance number or your Child Benefit number with you.
- Phone the number 0300 200 3100
- The line will ask you to give a few words of what you’re calling about, simply say ‘cancel child benefit’
- You’ll then be transferred to the relevant department where they can help you
- Whilst you’re on the phone they will ask you questions about why you want to cancel your child benefit and personal details to put the cancellation through
To cancel your child benefit online you can simply fill in a form online, which can be done through your Government Gateway account. If you don’t have one of these already you will need to set one up.
You can’t use the online form to cancel your child benefit if you’re an appointee or authorised agent – you will need to use the number above to call the HMRC to get this cancelled.
Log in to the page above to cancel your child benefit online.
When you’ve logged in you can fill in the form where you will need to provide details of your child benefit number and the reasons for why you are cancelling it.
It’s important to remember that you must pay any tax charge owed for each tax year up to the date that your Child Benefit stops.
Cancel by post
You can also write to the HMRC to cancel your Child Benefit, when you write to them you will need to include details of your Child Benefit number. The address you need to post your letter to is:
HM Revenue and Customs – Child Benefit Office
PO Box 1
Newcastle Upon Tyne